Friday, May 13, 2011

I'm a Wind Goddess


Remember in Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy how there was this semi-truck driver who attracted rain? He was a rain god and didn't know it. When he was close to home his wife would always bring in the laundry. I've concluded that I'm an athletic event wind goddess; the wind just loves me.

Let me convince you.

Last August, remember that one weekend of tornado warnings and thunderstorms? I was at the Centurion bike ride in Middleton. We sat in an airplane hangar for hours letting the most dangerous blackness blow over. Then we rode in the
rain--and wind.

In September I was in Chicago, for the Big Shoulders 5k lake swim. Sure, you'd expect it to be coolish and breezy. But two-and-a-half foot waves, rain, and--yes--wind? I guess it was real nice the year before.

So October brought another bike ride, this one Tyranena Oktoberfest in Lake Mills. Colorful leaves and bright autumn sun - nope. Sixty-five miles of chill, splattering rain, and wind that made the hair on my legs stand up and lie down.

Coincidence, you say. Do enough events and anyone can rattle off a windy list of bad experiences, you argue? Yes, I did a few other events - there was that Turkey Trot in the cold rain, and a 5k in December in 6 inches of new snow. (I won't count the adventure race in November where the weather was gorgeous but I was just too confused and lost to appreciate it.)

Now it's a new season and the charm hasn't worn off.

Last month was to have my first event of the year: the Vet-Fest half-marathon in Reedsburg. Well, 2011 was the year we skipped spring so I skipped the run. Temps in the 30s, rain, heavy clouds, and 20-mile-an-hour winds.

Now we come to it: Sunday is marathon day. Green Bay. Forecast: temps in the 40s, rain, 20- to 30-mph winds. Am thinking of taking up wind surfing.

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps you should take up sailing ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea. I tried that in college but never since. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete