Sunday, January 9, 2011

Urban Things I Forgot


I see an orange wall and I want to paint it brown.

I spent a lot of time in a different world this week: cleaning and painting a condo in Madison. Hours of painting with occasional views out the window gave me time to think: I had forgotten many things about living in a city.
 
I forgot that good hair is more important than warm hats.

I forgot what it's like to pay rent or borrow a car.

I forgot how it feels to work set hours and read on the bus ride home.

I forgot how apartment windows don't face all directions.

I forgot how cold you get in the winter if you dress for warm buildings instead of cold drives.

I forgot that a grocery store can be so close that you could walk there and that groceries get heavy on the walk home.

I forgot that I didn't used to have a relationship with my car mechanic or mail carrier.

I forgot how to sleep past 7 am, how to meet for dinner at 8 pm, and how to go to a midnight movie.

I forgot that there are sidewalks everywhere and that dogs are indoors or on leashes.

I forgot how clean an apartment can be and that garbage gets set out by the street weekly.

I forgot the desire for trendy clothes and sexy shoes.

I forgot that leaving the city seemed like a major trip.


3 comments:

  1. And are you missing any of these things or are you relieved to be able to head home and forget them again. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea,
    My feelings are mixed. Rural living has a wet basement and dependence on a car. But somehow my 20-year-old parka and sweatpants with cat hair seem acceptable in the country. Yet how fun to be minutes from a movie theater, a good grocery store, or a yoga studio. Do you wish for a rural home?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a city girl. We lived in a rural home (Town of Pleasant Springs) for one year, and I could appreciate the calm qualities it offered, but I missed all the things on your list. (Well ... not all ...) City life has wet basements and rodents, too, but I like being able to walk to everything. My parka is pretty old — but we don't have cats. As for a midnight movie, I can only dream about that.

    ReplyDelete